Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Peithosian Gift by Cristina Archer

I had to wait for a bit and ponder what I was going to write in this review. Why?  Because there were a lot going on and this is an unusual story.

First of all, the story (yes, I know it's a fantasy) totally reminded me of several of William Shakespeare plays such as Romeo and Juliet, and any other play which consists of warring families, betrayals, forbidden love and etc.

This novel isn't for a quick read.  It's divided into 5 parts. First part starts several centuries before the presents.  Basically described the start of chains of motion into the present. There are a lot of characters involved but as time goes by in the book, you'll get the hang of it.

There will be some areas where it can confuses you.

Basically it involves two families (they share the same common ancestor) who are constantly at war with each other. Unbeknownst to both sides, there is another branch to the lineage who is hiding from both sides until a fate forced them to reveal themselves. The way they treat each other is so brutal and shocking for human beings. Why so many years of war between the families?  Because the ability to read, will, and bend the minds which can be very dangerous to the brains. Too much of it can kill the person unintentionally and intentionally.

The ending was okay.  It was just too abrupt for my taste.

It will make you think.  I had to ponder on this book for a day before I could write anything about it.

I'd give it a 3 3/4 stars.

I received this unusual ARC from Rowanvale Books through Net Galley in an exchange for my honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment